There is much to know about the Republic of Turkey other than sharing the name with a feathered animal, and no, this isn’t what you cook for Thanksgiving. This country is home to one of the oldest civilizations in the world. Turkey’s strong history played a significant part in religion, agriculture, and trade.
Turkey has a unique position geographically, and the country has acted as a bridge and a barrier for the continents, Asia, and Europe. So, if you want to know more about this country, read on with these interesting Turkey facts.
Agriculture Started in TurkeyPhoto by Huseyin Kaya
Some historians firmly believed that Turkey started agriculture around 11,000 years ago. There are certain confirmations that ancient civilizations planted crops such as wheat and barley somewhere in south-central Turkey.
10th Largest Crop Producer
Turkey is known to be included in the top 10 largest crop producers in the world. Turkey’s part as the pioneer in agriculture is still being carried up to this day. The country is well known for the production of legumes, grapes, dried fruits, livestock, sunflowers, and apples.
Turkey’s Flag has a Long HistoryPhoto by Tarik Haiga
The Ottomans picked the color Red as their imperial standard color. The Turkish empire mostly controlled the Northern part of Africa, West Asia, and Southeast Europe from the 14th century to the 20th century. Red was also a representation of the domains of the Ottomans following the demise of the Roman Empire.
The fall of Rome was because of Turkey when the Ottoman army overwhelmed the capital of Rome, Constantinople, in 1453 under the control and leader of their Sultan, Mehmed II. With the fall of Rome, they became one of the most powerful kingdoms in history.
Long before it was named Istanbul, and one of Turkey’s most well-known cities, it was once the ancient city of Constantinople. It was the center for trade and arts, where conquering this metropolis was equivalent to ruling the entire world, which was somehow achieved by the Ottoman Empire.
Ottomans in World War I
Ottomans sided with the Central Powers during the break of World War I before they were dissolved in 1923. The Ottoman secretly formed an alliance with the German Empire, which was known to be the Ottoman-German alliance.
Throughout World War I, there were 2.6 million soldiers who were enlisted by the Ottoman Empire. 200,00 soldiers were imprisoned, 400,000 were injured, and 325,000 died in battle. The significant loss suffered by the empire was one of the vital reasons for the empire’s dissolution in 1921.
The Republic of Turkey is the Sixth Most-Visited Country in the WorldPhoto by Adli Wahid
Each year, the country is visited by over 50 million tourists from all around the globe. Some reasons are Turkey’s nature, cuisine, and nature. The Mediterranean weather gives the country of six whole months of summer in the southern section of Turkey, which makes it an ideal destination to travel.
Mount Ararat is a dormant volcano and is the highest point of the Republic of Turkey, measuring up to 5,137 meters. Many people believe that the Biblical ark of Noah landed on Mount Ararat. Because of this, most people view the mountain as sacred ground. This dormant volcano is home to various animal and plant species.
Located on Two Continents
Istanbul is the only city in the world that is in both Asia and Europe, where 95% of its landmass sides with Asia, while the remaining 5% rest on Europe. Because of this fact, Istanbul is cut up into two continents, making the city the only city on Earth to be on two continents.
2/7 of the Ancient Wonders of the Ancient World
The Republic of Turkey is home to two of the seven wonders, the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, which is a reminder of ancient Greek civilization to the Greek goddess Artemis. The second one is the historical site of the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, which was built from 353 BC to 350 BC.
Istanbul isn’t the current Capital of TurkeyPhoto by Okan Yikmis
Even though Istanbul is the most famous city in Turkey and one of the top ten cities in the world, it isn’t the capital of the country. This is a common misconception about the country, and the official title belongs to the city of Ankara after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Istanbul was once the capital of the Republic of Turkey when the city of Constantinople was conquered by the Ottoman Empire.
Turkey’s National Flower
Tulips are the country’s national flower, which was introduced to Europe back in the 17th century. Since the flower is native to Turkey, it is no surprise why Tulips are the national flower of the Republic of Turkey. The word “tulip” originated from the Turkish word “tülben,” which meant muslin or gauze.
What do you think about these interesting facts about the Republic of Turkey? Did these facts give you more reasons to visit the country soon? Visiting other countries is a great way to meet people and know their culture.