Every Independence Day, we honor the lives that were laid down to ensure that the tricolor would fly high. On August 15th, we celebrate the national spirit with the utmost grandeur every year. As Independent India grows older, modern India becomes more and more impressive. To that end, on this Independence Day, take a moment to realize how much we have accomplished in a mere 72 years. Here are ten reasons why you should be proud to be an Indian:
10. With a booming economy, it is predicted that India will have the largest workforce in the world by 2025.
9. The Mid-day meal scheme launched by the Indian Government is now the world’s most massive scheme for feeding children.
8. From the beginning of time, India has been and continues to be, one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. Despite which, it’s always been one of the most robust democracies in the world.
7. India was the first-ever country to grant voting rights to women, without any discrimination.
6. In 2018, India became one of the few countries in Asia to legalize gay sex.
5. One of the oldest sexist practices to plague our society, Dowry was made a nonbailable offense.
4. The Mars Orbiter Mission made India the first country in the entire world to reach Mars in its first attempt.
3. India is the fourth country in the world to hoist its flag on a lunar surface.
2. All villages in India have electricity, making it the world’s third-largest producer and consumer of power.
1. It’s our country. We all know how far we have to go, but our heads should be held high based on how far we have come. All the achievements that we have and all that we have to achieve is because of us. We are not just Indians. We are India. So be proud of it.