Last Updated on
I know this is one of the most important things that is going on in the minds of almost every fresher at home. Some feeling of excitement along with anxiousness. Trust me, you will start loving college within few days and there won’t be even little homesickness. I would list some things which are important to survive.
- Extension Board: Since there is only one charging point near bed, so it is advisable to carry an extension board.
- Induction/Kettle: Whatever suits you, according to your needs bring it but remember they are not allowed and they may be seized if they are caught by caretakers or block warden. According to my experience, the warden never bothers you until you bother him.
- Your own Iron. Again, go for a good quality Iron. I will stress this for almost all the electric items because you will end up using it for the next 4 years or maybe beyond that too. And, an Iron because, in hours of need, it might not be possible to give your clothes for laundry
- Food: Bring lots of food. You will slowly and gradually turn into nocturnal animal and will feel hungry during night. It is advisable to bring lots of Maggie and soup though you can get them outside the campus as well. Trust me, they are your lifeline. See our luggage. 😛
- Bedsheets, Mattresses and Pillow-cover: The college will not be providing a mattress this year. You need to either buy a mattress at the hostel or bring your own mattress from home. Also, the bed spreads and pillow.
- Important Documents: Bring all the important documents along with at least 10 Passport Size photos. You will be required to get yourself registered at various places.
- Deodorant: This one is particularly for boys. This would be the most resourceful thing as you would get lazy enough to even take bath. Deos to the rescue.
- Laptop: College is not providing laptops from this year. So either you bring a laptop you own or buy one. Here’s a list of laptops you can choose from. If your first semester’s group is Physics, then you gotta buy it this semester. As it is strictly required in EG (engineering graphics). Otherwise, if you got chemistry group you can manage to avoid it. (Though it is required in PC subject too, but you can still ignore it).
- Calculator: A scientific calculator Casio 991MS or 991ES would do the needful. Would recommend buying any MS series calculator as they are usually non programmable as this time there is a possibility that not all subjects will be open book, checking for programmable calculators will be enforced. So basically any non programmable calculator will be good. So I think 991MS would be better
- A spare mobile. I can’t stress on how important it is to have a spare mobile. Your current mobile might crash/lost/or be useless because of the rain. Extra phone will definitely help.
- Get 7 or 8 old newspapers, for putting it in shelves of cupboard.
- First Aid: Keep basic medicines in handy. If you are someone who catches cold easily, please have crocin/sinarest/calpol tablets and a Cough Syrup with you. Band aid and soframycin.
- External Hard disk. Preferably >=1Tb. There will be thousands of movies, TV shows that you will exchange with your friends, and oh, well other stuff too. Pictures, pictures, I mean pictures 😉
- Choice of clothing is up to the person, hence won’t comment on it. Just a reminder that shorts are not allowed in class.
**Things not to bring**
- Winter Clothes: You would be going home during winter time and then you can bring your winter clothes. Don’t increase your luggage unnecessarily.
- Books: There is a good shop inside the campus which will cater all the needs of your stationery as well as daily needs. I repeat do not increase your luggage unnecessarily. The text books and all can also be bought from the campus shop or the ones outside.
- Ask any senior for the drawing kit of Engineering Graphics, they would give you unless he/she is a Mechanical Student. Don’t waste money on it.
- Buckets, Mugs, are provided by the college.
- Attitude: Unnecessary attitude with seniors and professors would land you in trouble. Keep calm and enjoy your college as well as hostel life.
Note: Many of the things can be purchased at local shops too, if you do not want to carry these things from home. However, you may have to shell out extra money.