Everyone knows that eating right and exercising are the keys to weight control. But not everyone knows these tips to make your efforts pay off fast…
1. Eat Breakfast. It’s true – regular meals and occasional low-cal snacks help prevent the “famine-then-feast” syndrome. Great start: Fill up first thing with high-fiber cereal, whole grain bread or fresh fruit.
2. Bite into a pickle or lemon. Advantages: Neither has any calories to speak of, and the sour taste will curb your appetite. Don’t have either? Try brushing your teeth.
3. Post a list of small projects on the refrigerator. Then, when you’re bored and tempted to snack, tackle an item from your list. Result: It will help you ride out crave attacks.
4. Serve yourself half the amount you usually eat if you tend to eat whatever is in front of you. And make less food look like more by using smaller plates.
5. Exercise in the morning. Why: After fasting overnight, two-thirds of the calories burned come from stored fat, which has more calories than carbohydrates – the main energy source in afternoon workouts.
6. Keep calories burning with aerobic exercise, like biking, swimming or rowing. Advantage: A single session burns calories during
the workout and for several hours afterward.
7. Take your time. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to receive the signal that you’re full. So gulping food quickly may lead to overeating. Strategies: Set your silverware down between bites…chew slowly…savor each flavor and texture. Any play soft, soothing background music, which tends to slow the meal.