Merchant Navy is a profession which has always fascinated people because of high pay scale. Marine Engineers are solely responsible for all round Safe & Smooth Operations of ship engines, boilers, and Heavy machinery of the ship, steam connections as well as maintenance of the ship, repair, up-gradation and construction of all the relevant marine machinery. They are person who are overall in charge of Ship Mechanical and Electronic Body and they have to ensure the safety and standards of the marine body. With Modern Development, the role of marine engineers has widened and smoothed, too, electronics navigation has helped the marine engineering a lot.
The responsibility of marine engineer is vast, therefore requires some essential personal attributes. The person should have organizing ability, team spirit, ability to get on well with others, be able to work under pressure, should be able to handle crisis, good at conceptualizing forms and structures, excellent communication skills, physical fitness and above all, fascination for sea. Good renumeration in this profession attracts many youngsters towards Merchant Navy.
Some facts about Merchant Navy:
- 30 % Students Join Merchant Navy after 12th Standard.
- 40 % Students who adopt Merchant Navy are from Mechanical Engineering Background.
- Highest salary offers made to Merchant Navy Junior Engineers in the year 2011 is of 8 lakhs per year during placement session.
No Matter where you are standing currently, either you have completed your graduation , or may be you are still in 12th standard, In both ways you can apply for the course and will get selected, however the minimum education qualification is 10+2 with PCM(Physics,Chemistry,Mathematics). However, biology at 10+2 is an added advantage. There are also certain medical norms (physical fitness) that need to be met to get entry into the Marine Engineering courses. One should have a good physique with sound health. The minimum height should be 150 cms with correlated weight and proportionate chest with minimum 5 cm expansion.
Merchant Navy Courses in India
- B.E Marine Engineering, Duration: 4 years; Eligibility: 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
- B.S.C Nautical Science, Duration: 3 years, Eligibility: 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English
- M.E Marine Engineering, Duration: 2 years, Eligibility: B.E Marine Engineering.
Merchant Navy future Prospects, Remuneration and Pay Packages in India
A Marine Engineer has a number of options after he earns the degree. Marine Engineers primarily work in the Indian Merchant Navy. The Merchant Navy mainly comprises of tankers, liners, passenger vehicles, or carriers and other type of specialized ships. These merchant navy ships are operated by public sector as well as private sector shipping companies. One has diversified option to select the ship one wants to join. A Marine Engineer enters as Junior Engineer then he gets promoted to Second Engineer, Chief Engineer and Captain depending upon the number of experience.
Even at the Entry Level, the remuneration received by a marine engineer is high one. A person who joins Merchant Navy as junior engineer earns around 50,000 to 75,000 Rupees which is approximate merchant navy salary in India per month in any foreign vessel. But most important benefit is that by virtue of travelling for more than six months outside Indian borders, he gets the status of an NRI (Non resident Indian) and this gets exemption from taxes plus he also gets other benefits too. Apart from ships, Marine Engineers are also employed for the designing, research, consulting, training and education purposes in the related Field.
If you have already studied merchant navy and looking for job as fresher or experienced, then you can check out merchant navy job portal.
Top Merchant Navy Colleges in India
- The Training Ship Chanakya (T S Chanakya), Karaus, Navi Mumbai.
- Marine Engineering Research Institute, P-19, Taratolla Rd, Kolkata-700088
- Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai – 400 033
- Directorate General of Shipping, Jahaj Bhavan, Ballard Estate, Walchand Hirachand Marg, Mumbai 400001