Nose surgery or Nose job is also known as Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty in medical terms. This surgery is mainly performed to reshape the nose using plastic surgery procedures. It can make the nose larger or smaller depending on the patient’s requirements. This procedure is also responsible to make the structure of our nose proportionate with our facial appearance. You can also opt for a nose thread lift.
Nose surgery can be performed for two purposes:
- Cosmetic: To improve the appearance of the nose. This type of nose reshaping surgery is based on what changes the patient requires to enhance his/her facial appearance. For example, broad nostrils, bulging nose tip, hawk-like nose, etc.
- Functional: To correct structural deformities of the nose. Structural deformities like deviated septum can result in serious health issues. These issues may lead to breathing problems or sinusitis.
Reasons to undergo Rhinoplasty
- Breathing problem: Deviated septum and nostril collapse are responsible for breathing problems.
- Snoring: Snoring is a very common issue. It is mainly caused by a deviated septum. It can be congenital or due to trauma.
- Shape change: People often complain about having a nose bridge that is either too big or small, or wide or narrow nostrils, or short philtrum, etc. These nasal flaws can be re-structured using rhinoplasty.
- Size change: Another complaint that people often make about their nose can be about its size. A nose of proportionate size makes a great difference for a beautiful face.
- Facial Symmetry: Facial symmetry is the surest sign for a beautiful face. The nose is located at the center of the face. Any disruptions like a crooked nose or off-center nose can alter facial symmetry.
Types of Rhinoplasty
There are various types of rhinoplasty treatments as mentioned below. If you’re looking to get a nose job done in Australia, don’t look beyond the Skin Club.
This is a very common type of rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the nose in correlation with the rest of the face. This is done by correcting the nose bridge, tip, and nostrils.
Conditions like skin cancer, accidents, or other skin diseases can lead to severe deformities or loss of nasal tissue structure. In such cases, the nose is reconstructed with grafts and other advanced technologies. This type of re-construction can take more than one surgery. A skilled surgeon is required for this surgery.
In this type of rhinoplasty, bone or tissue grafts are used to build the tip and/or bridge of the nose. The graft can also be cartilage from the nasal septum. 2D and 3D models are created for perfect results.
Accidental injuries may cause serious functional and aesthetic damage to the nose. This problem can be solved by revising the nasal septum which is broken in trauma cases. This can be carried out within 10-15 days of surgery. Sometimes, it requires months to get the surgery done if the trauma is extensive.
This type of rhinoplasty follows the same methodology as others, but it is used for African, American, Asian and people from the Middle East as they have softer nasal contours and need extra care to conserve these unique features. Either you want your nose reshaping or need some reconstructive surgery after an accident, consider Calgary plastic surgery.
Rhinoplasty is not done until the growth phase of the nose is finished. However, in exceptional cases of breathing difficulties or trauma, it can be done in teenagers.
Aging can also be a cause for constriction and drooping of nasal tissues. These problems can be mitigated by rhinoplasty.
At the initial stage, the surgery process begins by inducing general anesthesia. This numbs your nose so that you do not feel any pain. Then, incisions are made on the inside of the nostrils to lift a flap and gain access to underlying bone and cartilage. Your surgeon may also cut through your nostrils in order to reach the dislocated bone and cartilage. Severe cases require a cut on the base as well. This process can also include an addition by grafts or reductions by removing tissues until the desired result is obtained. The flap is then closed and joined.
Rhinoplasty has two primary techniques:
- Closed Rhinoplasty: In this technique, all incisions are hidden inside the nose. So the scars are not visible at the outer side of the nose. Hence, the functional and cosmetic purpose is achieved.
- Open Rhinoplasty: In this technique, the skin is lifted off the tip and the cartilage of the nose is reformed precisely. This leaves minor scars below the nose.
There are advanced techniques too, such as:
- Bone alterations with high power tools
- Use of patient’s own blood that acts as adhesive to seal the incisions
Nasal packing stays in the nostrils for around one to seven days. If there are any outside stitches, they are taken off within the next five to seven days. However, the inner stitches dissolve by themselves. The nasal splint is used to keep the nasal bone in place for seven days. This also reduces swelling. Light activities can be resumed in the next ten days. Rigorous activities can be resumed after 6-8 weeks.
Rhinoplasty is carried out under general anesthesia. It takes around 1-2 hours for the execution of this surgery. After the procedure, stitches are removed within 7-10 days. In India, it requires 8-10 days for nose plastic surgery.
The minimum cost of nose surgery in India is between INR 45,000 to INR 60,000, according to the individual’s requirements. The maximum cost can be around a few lakhs. This value depends on the surgical equipment used, type of surgery, the number of surgeries, hospital visited, and other such related factors. India is known to have the best doctors for nose surgery. Also, the cost of this procedure is comparatively low in India. Find the cost and procedure of nose surgery treatment in India here.
Result and Outcomes
Final results of nose job can be obtained within six months to a year.
Various outcomes of rhinoplasty are:
- Rhinoplasty done by a skilled surgeon will improvise the overall appearance of a person’s face.
- Shape, size, symmetry and other flaws are smoothened out
- Breathing ability is improved
If you are 18 or above, and with good health; both mental and emotional, you can undergo nose reshaping surgery with good expectations. Although, children with severe nasal issues can also undergo this surgery.
Author Bio: Pousali is an M.Phil in English literature and likes to explore genres related to arts and aesthetics. The above article covers all the details of nose surgery like types of nose surgeries, its procedures, time taken, cost estimation, results, etc. Deformities can be natural or accidental in an individual, but they should be treated well before time.