All true film fanatics are able to recite whole scenes from their favourite movies and some of the most iconic catchphrases from the biggest stars ever to walk onto a film set. Whether it’s a quote from The Godfather or a facial expression at one of the most dramatic cinematic events in history, some people are able to leave their friends staggered by their ability to remember so much, so accurately.
Of course, there are some who feel that their friends simply need to get out more and live in the real world as opposed to Hollywood or Bollywood, but everyone has their own passions and interests and they are what makes them who they are.
Movies, as you might expect, are packed with scenes and lines that have the potential to go down in cinema history while others go down about as well as the stereotypical Western movie tumbleweed blowing through a dusty, deserted town.
Many of these iconic lines are brought up in quizzes and leave you scratching your head trying to recall exactly which film it’s from or who said it and the Internet has opened up a world of possibilities for movie lovers to get that information. You can either search for the most famous quotes or the roles played by specific actors; you can watch Bollywood movies on ErosNow.com or television series’ on Netflix and you can do it all on just about any device from a huge television to a smart phone, laptop or tablet meaning you can now watch those iconic scenes from just about anywhere in the world.
Bollywood may get overlooked by its American cousin, but it is by no means less popular with millions of people visiting cinemas or streaming films online each week. There are thousands of movies released annually and the cinema has become one of the major family pastimes throughout India and the rest of Asia and the Bollywood scene has just celebrated its 100th birthday. For that reason, we’ve seen some pretty iconic lines emanating from the mouths of the biggest stars in the biggest productions, and here are arguably the top ten:
10. Amitabh Bachchan in Deewar: “Jaao Pehle us aadmi ka Sign lekar aao jisne mere haath par yeh Likh diya tha ki mera Baap Chor hai” (Go, and first bring the signature of that man who had written on my hand that My Dad is a thief)
9. Dharmendra in numerous films: “Kutte, Main tera khoon pee Jaaunga” (You Dog, I am gonna drink your blood)
8. Raj Kumar in Waqt: “Chinoy Seth, Jinke apne ghar Shishe ke ho wo doosron par patthar nahi fenka karte…” (Mr. Chinoy, Those who stay in glass houses never throw stones at others)
7. Ajay Devgn in Diljale: “Jo aag is dil me lagi hai, usse duniya me laga dunga main… Agar teri Doli uthi to Duniya ko Jalaa dunga main… (The fire which is burnining in my heart, will be ignited in whole world…If you get married to someone else then I will burn the entire world)
6. Prem Chopra in Sautan: “Sanyam to mujh me itna hai ki mein Patther ko shishe se todta hoon” (I have got so much Patience that I Break the Stone with Ice)
5. Amjad Khan in Sholay: “Aadmi teen aur goli chhe? Bahut Be-insaafi hai ye” (3 men and 6 bullets? It’s quite unfair)
4. Amjad Khan, again, also in Sholay: “Sooar ke bachchhon, Wo do aur tum teen? fir bhi waapus aa gaye? kya samajh ke aaye the sardar Khush hoga? Saabasi dega kyun?? (You Sons-of-a-Pig, They were just two and you are three? Still you returned back? What did you think? Boss will be happy? Will praise you?)
3. Shah Rukh Khan in Baazigar: “Kabhi Kabhi kuchh jeetne ke liye kuchh haarna bhi padta hai, aur haar kar jeetne waale ko Baazigar kehte hain” (Sometimes, to win something one has to lose something..And who wins after losing is called Baazigar)
2. Amitabh Bachchan in Don: “Don ka intezaar toh baarah mulko ki Police kar rahi hai, magar Don ko pakadna Mushkil hi nahi..Na-Mumkin hai” (Police of twelve countries are waiting for Don, but to catch Don is not only tough, it’s Impossible)
1. Shashi Kapoor in Deewar – one of the most popular one line responses: “Aaj mere paas Buildings hain…property hai… bank balance hai..Bangla hai.. Gaadi hai …Kya hai Tumhare Paas??”
– “Mere Paas Maa hai”
(Today I have property … bank balance .. the car … what have you got?? – “I have mom”)
What is your opinion? Which line is the most iconic?