For students, being a part of the academic world requires following particular rules. It does not matter whether you study at college or a university. Similarly, it does not matter whether you are from the UK or the USA. When it comes to writing English essays, conducting research, presenting reviews, there is always the challenge of Plagiarism looming above.
Imagine a paper written about yourself. It is a creative essay, an assignment that does not require using any sources. In this case, there is no plagiarism involved, namely because original content from scratch is written. However, when tons of papers need to be written according to existing academic standards, it is a whole other deal. As a writer, you aim toward good quality writing that other writers can perceive as just.
When it comes to achieving such a degree of fair writing, it is vital to know about Plagiarism and its forms. Besides, to ensure you avoid Plagiarism, we present a number of tips that guide your future academic works and result in academic fairness and excellence.
What is Plagiarism?
Before plunging into the instruments that offer assistance in avoiding Plagiarism, you should review the significant insights about the notion of Plagiarism itself. In short, Plagiarism is a breach of academic integrity. The idea is directly related to the matter of intellectual honesty. Academic circles perceive Plagiarism as a highly unethical deed.
Speaking about the meaning of Plagiarism, the first thing to understand is that tube practice revolves around the idea of presenting other people’s ideas or work as your own. Essentially, if you take someone’s idea or piece of writing and use it in your essay without the original author’s consent or a direct citation, such action is Plagiarism. You need to understand that Plagiarism relates to all published and unpublished materials in both physical and digital forms. Besides, the practice can be intentional or unintentional.
Regardless of the approach or intention, there are significant consequences for Plagiarism. Academic communities do not tolerate dishonesty. It means that if you are caught plagiarising, there are massive chances you will be expelled from an academic institution or face some significant ethical repercussions. However, while Plagiarism is a major academic offense, it is easy to avoid it through a number of steps you can use throughout your academic career.
Forms of Plagiarism
While you now have a basic understanding of Plagiarism in writing, it is crucial to know that the practice has different forms. Some people try to avoid Plagiarism by rewriting the original text. However, such a practice is Plagiarism as well.
- The first form of Plagiarism is word to word or verbatim Plagiarism. Students can use the term word plagiarism when writing a direct quotation from some work without adequately acknowledging its author. Keeping that in mind, with word-to-word plagiarism, it is difficult for a reader to distinguish between your work and someone else’s work.
- The second form of Plagiarism is about taking information from the Internet without explicit acknowledgment. If you use the information from the Internet, it is crucial to reference it and present it in the bibliography. Otherwise, it is challenging for a reader to know whether the information presented is original or merely taken from the Internet.
- The third form of Plagiarism is paraphrasing. While many students think that paraphrasing someone’s original work is not necessarily Plagiarism, they are wrong. Inadequate paraphrasing is about imposing minor alterations to the original content. When there is insufficient paraphrasing without the changes in order and structure, such a practice is called Plagiarism.
How to avoid Plagiarism?
Getting to the practical insights, there are several crucial tips to help you write papers free from plagiarism.
- If you are not sure how to avoid plagiarism, hire help. There are companies and services that employ top professionals and offer expert help online. For a relatively cheap price, you can buy the best personalized service, the one that helps you ensure your order is plagiarism-free. A paper writing service like Custom Writings offers custom assistance for any given customer. In general, a company has a website where you can hire a professional to help you deal with plagiarism.
- Use proper paraphrasing. Avoid copying and pasting the text word to word if you do not intend to use it as a direct quote with a proper citation. Instead, try to restate the key idea with your words and not merely change a couple words in the original text.
- Use quotations and quotes. When you take someone’s work and present it word to word, always use quotation marks. The critical aspect is to present citations with quotations for readers to understand where the text originated from and who the author is.
- Cite the sources properly. Anything taken from some original work and not properly paraphrased requires a proper citation. Anything published offline or online requires proper acknowledgment. Remember to cite the papers according to the academic style you use. There are differences between citations in MLA and APA. Besides, there are a number of manuals concerning citations available online. There are also online citation services that will assist you in creating the proper reference.
- Use plagiarism checkers. Online services like Grammarly offer instruments that can help detect even the slightest traces of plagiarism. Use the services and ensure that your work is plagiarism-free. The majority of online plagiarism checkers provide basic services for free. However, it is worth paying for a subscription if you are a student who will write many papers in the future. Plagiarism checkers use complex algorithms and compare your work to the billions of texts online.
Remember, Plagiarism is a practice that can adversely affect your academic career. When striving for fairness and excellence, it is crucial to know about the concept of Plagiarism, discern among its forms, and use particular guidelines to avoid it. With a number of tips mentioned above, you are adequately equipped to plunge into the ocean of academics while being sure of your academic honesty.