Have you ever been so frustrated with studying that you are just about ready to give up? Well, the problem might just be that you are attacking the material in the wrong way. Follow these guidelines to improve your study skills and grades.
- Try to attend as many academic support activities and workshops as possible. By attending these activities, you can usually pick up extra details that you might have missed during the regular class. The teacher might also explain things in a different manner that you understand better. They are usually free and are always helpful.
- You have to study. This might seem obvious, but a lot of students do not put in any extra study time on their own. These students expect to learn and comprehend all of the material during class time. Everyone must study a little on their own to fully understand all of the material.
- Study with soothing music in the background. Contrary to popular belief, this tactic can enhance your concentration. Try playing soft classical music in the background while you are studying for a test and see if your grade reflects any improvement.
- Studying in a soft chair or on a cushy bed may not be the best strategy. When relaxing in an extremely comfortable position the mind and body tends to wonder off. Active learning may require you to sit on the edge of your chair while studying. If you wake up your body, then you will wake up your mind.
- Study space is another key ingredient to good studying. Your regular study space should be as quiet as possible and as large enough to have easy access to everything you need for studying (text and reference books, paper, pencils, rulers, etc.). Libraries, study lounges, and private rooms are ideal. Make sure to get rid of glutter before you begin to study.
- Study groups are great but in general studying alone is usually more effective.
- Remember that if you need help, tutoring is not negative. Get help early before the academic damage is irreversible. Many schools offer free tutoring in a variety of subjects.
Keep these ideas in mind when you are trying to improve your study skills and you should see an increase in your overall academic achievement.