Wi-Fi capability allows for wireless connection to the Internet. iPod Touch connects to the Internet via Wi-Fi networks. iPhone connects to the Internet using either a Wi-Fi network or a cellular data network.
iPhone does the following, in order, until connected:
- Connects over the last Wi-Fi network you used that’s available.
- If no previously used Wi-Fi networks are available, iPhone shows a list of Wi-Fi networks in range. Tap a network and, if necessary, enter the password to join.
- Networks that require a password show next to them. You can prevent iPhone from automatically showing available networks.
- If no Wi-Fi networks are available or you choose not to join any, iPhone connects to the Internet over a cellular data network.
Turn Wi-Fi on:
- Choose Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on.
Join a Wi-Fi network:
- Choose Settings > Wi-Fi > turn Wi-Fi on, then wait a moment as iPhone/iPod Touch detects networks in range. Select a network. If necessary, enter the password and tap Join. (Networks that require a password appear with a lock icon).
- If necessary, enter a password and tap > Join (networks that require a password appear with a lock icon).
- Once you’ve joined a Wi-Fi network manually, iPhone/iPod Touch automatically connects to it whenever the network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, the iPhone/iPod Touch joins the one last used.
- When iPhone/iPod Touch is connected to a Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar at the top of the screen shows connection strength. The more bars you see, the stronger the connection.
- If no Wi-Fi networks are available and a cellular data network isn’t available, neither the iPod Touch nor the iPhone will be able to connect to the Internet.
Cellular Data Network Access
- 3G, EDGE, and GPRS allow Internet connectivity over the cellular network available through your iPhone carrier’s wireless service. Check the carrier’s network coverage in your area for availability.
- You can tell iPhone is connected to the Internet via the cellular data network if you see the 3G ( ), EDGE ( ), or GPRS ( ) icon in the status bar at the top of the screen.
- Choose Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off.