SLAT or the Symbiosis Law Admissions Test is one of the most coveted law entrance examinations across the country. Close to 1080 seats are on offer in four campuses and two programs, namely, BALLB and BBA LLB under the Symbiosis International University. The exam dates for the SLAT 2021 exam have been released and it is expected to go ahead on May 1st 2021. In this blog, we present a full-fledged SLAT Preparation Strategy for beginners who are just starting their preparation journeys.
SLAT 2021 Question Paper: Exam Pattern
The SLAT 2021 Question Paper comprises of five sections as mentioned in the following table. There are 75 questions in total which carry 75 marks in aggregate. The time allotted is divided into 75 minutes for the objective questions and an additional 30 minutes for the Written Ability Test. There is no indication of negative marking. Have a look below.
|Writing Ability Test [WAT]||Yes||NA|
SLAT Preparation: Logical Reasoning
- Topics: Statement & Assertion, Statement & Conclusion, Statement & Inference, Statement, & Course of Action, Cause and Effect, Logical Consistency, Order & Ranking, Coding & Decoding, Conclusion Derivation, Puzzles, Data Sufficiency, Syllogism, Logical Consistency, Seating Arrangement, etc.
- In the Logical Reasoning section, the focus is on testing a few important skills such as problems solving, pattern-making, decisions and logical argumentation. Usually, the instructions/directions present you with a certain situation which the questions explored. This may be a missing link, a calculation exercise or sequence.
- The most-often suggested SLAT Preparation Strategy for newcomers to tackle the reasoning questions in the SLAT 2021 Question Paper is to visualise and draw out the different possibilities. Whether it is seating arrangement, statements and arguments or blood relations, using the info given, analyse the given options, eliminate the extreme and implausible choices and pick the most suitable one.
SLAT Preparation: Legal Reasoning
- Topics: Indian Constitution and Polity, Contract, Legal Terminologies, Family Law, Law of Torts, Law of Crimes, Landmark Judgements, Intellectual Property Rights, Legal Maxims, International Law, etc.
- The Indian Constitution forms the basic premise of the Legal Reasoning SLAT Syllabus 2021. Focus on Fundamental Rights and Duties, important schedules, emergency provisions and so on. Further, the legal terminologies also form part of the questions and it is extremely important to be well-versed with it.
- The Legal Reasoning section is made up three basic kinds of questions that is, legal-fact based questions, legal general knowledge-based questions and principle-fact questions. The latter explores a particular principle through a given situation or case. Keep in mind that the principle is always right. You will not need any outside information to solve such questions. On the former two, your grasp over Constitution and its related changes will be tested. Refer to explainer videos, Rajya Sabha debates, law journals, etc. to be updated in this respect.
SLAT Preparation: Analytical Reasoning
- Topics: Cause & Effects, Assertion & Reason, Statements & Conclusion, Blood Relation, Seating Arrangement, Coding-Decoding, Word Formation, Directions, Syllogism, Alphabet Test, Puzzles, Inequalities, Analogy, Directions, Decision making, Profit & loss, ratio and proportion, Figure Counting, etc.
- The analytical reasoning portion leans a bit on the simpler side looking at the SLAT Syllabus 2021. However, to make the most out of it, the fundamental topics of unitary methods, ratios, simplification, divisibility, averages, etc. must be mastered first. Furthermore, the SLAT 2021 Question Paper almost always merges different concepts to make your task tough.
- To save vital time, a good SLAT preparation strategy for newcomers is to learn and master several shorthand calculation tricks. Also, solve common as well as diverse questions to teach yourself what to do in case you face a question that you may have not seen earlier.
SLAT Preparation: Reading Comprehension
- Any reading comprehension passage is comprised of certain elements, that is, its main idea or theme around which it is based, the author’s arguments and counter-arguments, conclusion, factual information and others. It is crucial to isolate and highlight these elements to judge the overall nature and orientation of the passage. Further, the questions that follow RC will test your critical analysis and thinking skills along with core English grammar and vocabulary skills.
- The RC section twists the questions as much as any other. You must learn to closely analyse the ideas presented concerning the author’s as you will be constantly asked questions like ‘what the author most likely agree with’ or ‘what he/she may not agree with’.
SLAT Preparation: General Knowledge
- Topics: Current Affairs, National & International Issues, Business & Economics, Important Institutions & changes, Major Appointments, Film & Television, Science & Technology, Culture, Events & Anniversaries, Books & Authors, Environment & Ecosystem, Major Government Schemes, Sports, Important Dates, Currency, General Science, Awards, etc.
- To cover the GK SLAT Syllabus 2021, be abreast of the recent developments through newspapers like The Hindu and Indian Express and competition magazines such as Yojana and Year Reviews. Further, there are topic-based capsules or rounders that you can refer to as well. The key here for newcomers is memory and retention and to achieve that you will have to incorporate creative learning methods including flow charts, diagrams, puzzles, quizzes and short-timed tests. This comes out as an added advantage in other sections as well.
SLAT Preparation Strategy: Written Ability Test
This is a 30-minute exercise in which you will be asked to present solid arguments and relevant facts on a particular topic. The topic can be taken from current affairs or other fields. Common topics include Euthanasia, Swatch Bharat Mission, Judiciary and Government Confrontation, Capital Punishment, Aadhaar Usage, GST, etc.
The key point here for newcomers to remember is to pick a viewpoint you agree with and substantiate it with well-thought-out arguments and information. Coherence, style and presentation are all tested.
What is most important to cover the SLAT Syllabus 2021 comprehensively is your confidence and belief.