Last Updated on
Finishing a floor is not exactly so difficult a process as it might sound. Maintaining the flooring of the house is very important to give your home a well-kept look and also for hygienic reasons. Although most of us use soapy water from time to time, along with the regular vacuuming and dusting, to keep our floor clean, in spite of it all, floors do lose their natural sheen and gloss over time.
Even if a complete overhaul is not always necessary, it is a prudent idea to buff and polish it from time to time. Here are some tips on how to strip and finish floors in a simple way so that your home décor always remains flawless and improves the value of your home:
- Thanks to modern technology, everything is so readily available to us. You can pick up any commercial stripper off the rack to strip the floor. These strippers are usually multi-purpose and the label will specify on what kind of floors it can be used on. Be sure to read the instructions carefully regarding how much to dilute or else too much of it can leave your floor corroded and raw and no amount of polish will be enough to fix the stain. You can ask interior firms in Bangalore to tell you about flooring options that have the least amount of staining.
- While stripping the floor, apply the stripping agent in a uniform manner. Usually, they have to be left on for some time for the agent to seep into the dirt and wax so that you do not have to rub on the floor rigorously. Try not to use any sharp instruments to pick out layers of stubborn grime. Instead, use concentrated solvent exactly on the stain to loosen it.
- While stripping the floor, go about in a systematic manner- either from left to right or up and down the length of the room. That will help you to cover every inch of the floor, without repeating yourself. The same principle applies while putting on coats of polish. The ideal way to apply polish is to use soft pads but you can also use a soft cloth like flannel for the purpose so as to get a soft and even look.
- Remember, that your design in interiors, whatever style they may follow, are in a way cohesively tied by your flooring and ruining your floor might mean you have to overhaul the flooring of the entire room. Hence, if you have a large floor area to cover, do not apply the stripping solution all at once as one part of the room is likely to dry out by the time you reach the other and the same rule will also apply when you start with the application of polish or wax. This might also give an uneven look to the floor. Instead, divide the floor into parts and deal with each part separately.
- Plan on what type of flooring you want. It can be tough to find a floor solution that stands the test of time whole being chemical, spills and stain resistant. If you are planning for a concrete floor, then an epoxy coating shall improve the appearance with fewer drawbacks and some important benefits. An epoxy coating from concretecoatingsealers
.com.au will go a long way in improving the appearance of the flooring.
- Do not use solvents or chemicals immediately after you have finished the floor. Let the polish seep into the wood and hold on to it. When you start cleaning again, start with light vacuuming and then damp mopping. In a week’s time, you can be back to your normal routine and yet your floor will look as brand new as ever.