Now that urbanization is prevalent at its full fledged pace at Manipal, a consequent boon for all foodies is the arrival of innumerable restaurants,make shift ‘chaat’ stalls and fast food chains. In addition to the greater variety of options,there are also confusions which arise in choosing an eating place apt for your occasion/budget/taste preferences.
Here is a quick go-through guide..
1. First Kitchen :
Where: Udupi road, Next to Naturals Ice cream.
USP: This considerably new restaurant is a small, cosy place with some real lip-smacking food! Although not veryyy pocket-friendly..it is a must try on the days you are feeling rich or when you want to take your visiting relatives out for dinner 😉
Picks:Chicken Ghee Roast
2. Tiwari Chat:
Where: Near Venugopal Temple
USP: Who knew that this tiny stall on the way to Venugopal could be such a delightful treasure-house for all those chaat lovers! Indulge yourself in paani-puri or a wide array of chats,or the famous Bihari Litti-Choka, served excellently and very authentically here!
Picks: GULAB JAMUN here is a MUST for all those with an incredibly sweet tooth. Roughly said, it is only something you can dream of until you have it!
3. Fish Max :
Where: Near Syndicate Circle
USP: Definitely a one-stop place for all the die-hard fish lovers!(Bengalis and otherwise). This humble place offers very skillfully sautéed fish,the taste of which is distinct and unforgettable. Easy on the wallet and guarantees a very fulfilling dinner/lunch.
Picks: A variety of fish are available to suit your needs. Pomfret, Rohu,Prawns, King-fish all work well for me!
Where:Udupi Road,Next to L’Oreal Salon
USP:This restaurant with its attractive,fancy ambiance and an unquestionable food standard is already quite popular. Again,the prices suggest that consider this when you are coaxing your friends for birthday treats 🙂
Picks: Chicken Biryani, Lasagna, Full White Snapper Tandoori
5. Guzzler’s Inn:
USP:This dimly lit restaurant is well-known for its food..but it is particularly a must-visit for all sizzler-lovers! Caution: May burn a hole in your pocket. Hence consider going in a large group.
Picks: Steak Sizzler
Where: Opposite Dominos Pizza, Syndicate Circle
USP: A ‘Lo and Behold!’ for all chicken lovers. Straight talk here.
Picks: Peshawari Kebab is a must try…but yes..come here in a large group to enjoy its delectable quality in a good quantity 🙂
Where: Near Black Cup, End Point Road
USP: This place is technically a food Mess..but I really wanted to mention it here. It is definitely the closest I could get to home-food here in Manipal. Come in for lunch and dinner at very reasonable rates. For hardcore non-vegetarians..there is chicken,egg and fish too!
Picks: Snack here on Sunday evening..Samosa and Jalebi which will make your world go ROUND. Stocks get over veryy fast, so it is almost imperative to make your presence felt by 5 pm.
Where: Udupi road,Next to Hotspot
USP: Although this place is famous for reasons more than one, I recently discovered the astounding food quality too. A catch: not student-friendly at all(sigh!)
Picks: Try almost anything here,and you are bound to like it.
9. Hangyo CTF:
Where: Near Syndicate Bank
USP: The acronym CTF (Chill,Thrill,Frill) does seem to be very apt for this place. Only a sip of the trademark Thick shakes seem perfect for replenishing a tiring day! Another must try is the Pav Bhaji, for which you can visit after 4 pm.
Picks: Chicken Colossal Club Sandwich (very very fulfilling)
10. And a few places in and around TC
- Pani Puri stall Opposite Hotel Shanthala : There is something about the Pani Puri here which is unfathomable,but it is ‘simply the best’ indeed.
- Vada Pav stalls next/opposite to Amita Bakery: If you have not had a Vada Pav from here yet..kindly do not wait any longer!
- Corn stall outside Manipal stores: Whether your flavour is the classic Butter and salt or the tangy chilly lime, you cannot resist just a cup or two once in a while.
- Hotel Iceland,Opposite Manipal stores: Refresh yourself with a glass of fresh juice,or enjoy a plate of good old Maggi 🙂
- Pav Bhaji Stall Manipal Gift House: This stall has been around for long,from what I hear. It is a humble place but really not so in terms of the Pav Bhaji you get to savour! A must-visit at least once.
1) The order above does not correspond with my personal preferences.
2) The age-old adage ‘To each his own’ is indispensable. Feel free to add/comment/suggest 🙂